Music 2116: Survey of Music from
c. 1750 to 2010
2:30-3;20 MWF--Squires Recital Salon
Prof. John R. Howell
Study Hints for Music 2116
This page has been updated for Spring 2012.
PRACTICE FOR CHAPTER TERMS QUIZZES
1. Terms Quizzes and Listening Quizzes for each chapter will be found on Blackboard at www.learn.vt.edu. They will usually be available about a week before their deadlines, and it's a good idea to take them earlier rather than later because computers do crash, servers do go off line, and stuff happens.
2. Questions will be on names, terms, or information that is important, sometimes broad concepts or the names of specific styles or the characteristics of those styles.
3. Section headings or boldface type in the textbook certainly suggest questions and should be studied, but other important concepts may be asked even if not isolated in the textbook.
4. I expect you to read or listen to the assignment before taking the quizzes. I expect you to have your study materials handy when you take them. And I expect you to score 100%!
5. Anything emphasized in lectures may show up, whether it is emphasized in the textbook or not.
6. Unless the Course Calendar says otherwise, each Chapter Terms Quiz will cover the entire chapter. However, if the entire chapter hasn't been discussed in class yet, at least one of the questions will come from material that has been discussed in class.
7. Only students who choose Grading Options 2 or 3 are required to take these quizzes. Students on Option 1 are encouraged to take them to help you prepare for the next Unit Quiz, but this is not required and your scores will not count toward your final grade. Students on Option 1 who feel they might want to change Options after the Unit Quiz 1 scores are sent out should go ahead and take these Quizzes until the final decision has been made.
Note: The actual quizzes will be in multiple choice format.
Give at least one characteristic each of Style Galant, Empfindsamer Stil, and Sturm und Drang.
Give the English meaning of Empfindsamer Stil or Sturm und Drang.
Diagram the 3 parts of a piece in Sonata-Allegro Form. (3 words will do it, if they're the right words!)
In what country did Domenico Scarlatti work in the later part of his life, and for what instrument did he mostly compose music.
In what part of Europe did the Empfindsamer Stil flourish, and what composer is especially connected with it?
Name any one of the four important books about playing music that appeared starting in the 1750s, in German or English, and name the writer.
What was the largest contribution of Pietro Metastasio to 18th century music?
What were light operas, sometimes with spoken dialogue, called in either Italy, England, Germany, or Spain?