- Department of Music
- Dwight Bigler - choral activities
- Ivica Ico Bukvic - composition, multimedia
- Vernon Burnsed - music education
- Robert Chafin - voice
- Richard Cole - history, literature
- Tracy Cowden - piano, vocal coach, Faculty Chair
- Jason Crafton - trumpet, jazz
- Elizabeth Crone - flute
- Jay Crone - trombone, Assistant Director of the School of Performing Arts
- Michael Dunston - music technology, recording, media production
- Wallace Easter - horn
- James Glazebrook - violin, viola, orchestra
- Lee Heuermann - history, theory
- Kent Holliday - piano, composition
- John Howell - In Memoriam
- John Husser - bassoon, saxophone
- David Jacobsen - flute, saxophone
- Stephen E. King - music education
- Eric Lyon - composition
- Richard Masters - piano
- David McKee - Marching Virginians, university bands
- George McNeill - Highty-Tighties
- Polly Middleton - Marching Virginians, Pep Band, Campus Band
- Charles Nichols - composition, music technology
- Cyrus Pace - jazz
- Phillip Paglialonga - clarinet
- Kelly A. Parkes - music education
- Andrew Putnam - conducting, wind ensemble
- Patricia Raun - Director of the School of Performing Arts
- James Sochinski - theory
- Annie Stevens - percussion
- John L. Walker - oboe
- Alan Weinstein - cello, bass
- David Widder - Professor Emeritus
- Ariana Wyatt - voice
- ePortfolio Websites
Each candidate for admission to the University as a music major is required to perform an audition. All candidates are urged to audition in person at Virginia Tech on one of the dates indicated. If you cannot come on any of these dates, please contact Michele Klawitter to receive permission to submit a pre-recorded audition.
Audition/Interview Dates for Prospective 2014-2015 Music Majors
- Monday, November 11, 2013 (early admissions and scholarships only)
- Saturday, January 25, 2014 (Honor Band participants only)
- Saturday, February 01, 2014 for voice, piano, and strings admission and scholarship
- Saturday, February 08, 2014 for brass, woodwind, and percussion admission and scholarship (Note: Brass players who wish to audition on February 8th must do so in the morning)
- Monday, February 17, 2014 for admission and scholarship
- Saturday, March 22, 2014 for admission only
Only January/February audition results may be considered for a scholarship. Audition results after March 1 will not be included in these decisions.
Requesting an Audition
All prospective freshmen and transfer music major students must complete the following steps:
- Complete an application to Virginia Tech by January 15
- Complete and submit the Prospective Music Major Application form
- Two letters of recommendation should be mailed at least two weeks prior to your requested audition date via email to Michele Klawitter or to the postal address below.
- Additionally, please submit a brief essay describing your involvement in music as well as your objectives and professional aspirations via email to Michele Klawitter or the postal address below.
- Composition Majors: If you are choosing composition as your major, please send a portfolio of your most recent compositions to Michele Klawitter or to the postal address below.
You may also mail the forms to:
Auditions and Scholarship Committee
242 Squires – 0240
Blacksburg, VA 24061
ALL FORMS (either mailed or on-line) MUST BE RECEIVED TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE DESIRED AUDITION DATE.
Once your audition request is processed, you will receive an email with your time and instructions 1-2 weeks prior to your audition date.
We recommend that you also search the Virginia Tech Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for additional scholarship and financial aid information.
If you have any questions or would like to request a printed informational packet be mailed to you, please contact Michele Klawitter.