- Department of Music
- Early Music Ensemble
- Instrumental Jazz
- The Highty Tighties
- Linux Laptop Orchestra
- New River Valley Symphony
- Percussion and Marimba Ensemble
- Dwight Bigler - choral activities
- Ivica Ico Bukvic - composition, multimedia
- Vernon Burnsed - music education
- Robert Chafin - voice
- Richard Cole - history, literature
- Tracy Cowden - piano, vocal coach
- Jason Crafton - trumpet, jazz
- Elizabeth Crone - flute
- Jay Crone - trombone, department head
- Travis J. Cross - conducting, wind ensemble
- Michael Dunston - audio, recording, media production
- Wallace Easter - horn
- John M. Floyd - percussion
- James Glazebrook - violin, viola, orchestra
- Kent Holliday - piano, composition
- John Howell - history, arranging, historical instruments
- John Husser - bassoon, saxophone
- David Jacobsen - flute, saxophone
- Stephen E. King - music education
- Paul Langosch - jazz studies
- David McKee - Marching Virginians, university bands
- George McNeill - Highty-Tighties
- Polly Middleton - Marching Virginians, Pep Band, Campus Band
- Kelly A. Parkes - music education
- James Sochinski - theory
- Patrick Turner - music technology
- John L. Walker - oboe
- Alan Weinstein - cello, bass
- David Widder - clarinet
- Ariana Wyatt - voice
- ePortfolio Websites
Each candidate for admission to the University as a music major is required to perform an audition. All candidates are urged to audition in person at Virginia Tech on one of the dates indicated. If you cannot come on any of these dates, please contact Professor David McKee of the Scholarship and Auditions Committee to receive permission to submit a pre-recorded audition.
Audition/Interview Dates for Prospective 2013-2014 Music Majors
Auditions will be held on Monday, November 12, 2012 (early admissions students only), Saturday, February 09, 2013 for admission and scholarship, Monday, February 18, 2013 for admission and scholarship, and Saturday, March 02, 2013 for admission only. Only January/February audition results may be considered by the Admissions Office in determination of offers to students. Audition results after March 1 will not be included in their decisions.
Requesting an Audition
All prospective freshmen and transfer music major students must complete the following steps:
- Complete an application to Virginia Tech by January 15
- Complete and submit the Prospective Music Major Application form
- Complete and submit the Undergraduate Audition Request form
- Two letters of recommendation should be mailed at least two weeks prior to your requested audition date via email to Michele Klawitter or to the postal address below.
- Additionally, please submit a brief essay describing your involvement in music as well as your objectives and professional aspirations via email to Michele Klawitter or the postal address below.
- Composition Majors: If you are choosing composition as your major, please send a portfolio of your most recent compositions to Michele Klawitter or to the postal address below.
You may also mail the forms to:
Auditions and Scholarship Committee
242 Squires – 0240
Blacksburg, VA 24061
ALL FORMS (either mailed or on-line) MUST BE RECEIVED TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE DESIRED AUDITION DATE.
Once your audition request is processed, you will receive an email with your time and instructions 1-2 weeks prior to your audition date.
We recommend that you also search the Virginia Tech Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for additional scholarship and financial aid information.
If you have any questions or would like to request a printed informational packet be mailed to you, please contact Michele Klawitter.